Correctional Facilities and Prisons
“The quality of the Pointer’s prison installations and my custodial team are the best in the industry.”
Simon Murray (Director of Custodial)
Over 20 Years’ Prisons Experience
Pointer’s dedicated custodial team has over 20 years’ experience within the sector.
- Pointer have been the sole supplier in a CCTV & PIDS Framework Maintenance Agreement with the Scottish Prison Service with an enviable uninterrupted contract provision since 1997.
- During the past 12 years Pointer have been responsible for 90% of CCTV and PIDS installations to the entire Prison estate.
- From the first Pointer PIDS installation installed 24 years ago, the systems installed by Pointer custodial team have grown in complexity and value, now undertaking multi-million pound installations covering many disciplines.
- The specialist prison team comprises dedicated designers, project managers, supervisors, commissioning and installation engineers supported by service and maintenance engineers.
- Our service and maintenance support for prisons is second-to-none. The specialist technicians who work on prison systems only work on prison systems, the whole year round. This is their sole duty, and it has been for many years.
- We at Pointer understand the need for you to maximise efficiencies and reduce costs, we enable this by having one single point of contact for all your needs and ensure that no closed protocol supplier specific systems are installed.
- Pointer’s custodial team is capable of managing subcontractors, and working closely with specialist contractors throughout the entire project. Pointer can carry out works both as a sub-contractor to a Principal Contractor, or operate as the Principal Contractor and undertaking all responsibilities this involves.
Pointer have undertaken specialist work at Prisons, High Secure Hospitals, Young Offender Institutions, Secure Holding Facilities, Remand Centres, Custody Suites and Immigration Removal Centres, both directly for the Prison Service and on behalf of Tier One or Tier Two contractors. Our vast experience includes the design, installation, integration, and service and maintenance of:
- PIDS (Perimeter Intruder Detection Systems)
- Radio based external zoned Officer/General alarms
- IP Video and Analytics
- CCTV including Thermal
- In-ground Detection and Laser Detection.
- ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition)
- IP Video
- Cell Call audio (with recording) and push to call.
- Radio based zoned Officer General alarms
- Videocom and Intercoms
- Fire Detection including Aspiration Systems
- General Alarms, Affray and Intruder Alarms
- Temporary Waiting (refuge) and Accessible Toilet alarms (DDA compliant)
Electric Locking and Physical Barriers
- PLC Electric Locking, Vehicle gates and grille gate doors, etc
- Chubb Atlas electric locking
- Barriers, Turnstiles and Ram barriers.
- Design and construction of prisons electronic control rooms/secondary back up control/security server rooms.
- Complete bespoke provision, Air Conditioning, UPS, etc
- Security Management Systems (SMS)
- Control Room Desks and Furniture
- Fibre/Networking infrastructures
- CISCO Premier Certified partner
Current Technologies under review and detailed design
- Drone detection
- Mobile Phone Grabbing and Blocking
In addition to our specialist work on prisons and custodial facilities within the UK, Pointer have delivered projects at Government maintained Correctional Facilities on behalf of a number of Prison Services in Asia, and we have developed a robust project management methodology for working within such demanding environments.
Pointer Asia Case Studies
- Ratchaburi Prison Project Data Sheet (PDF, 907k)
- Chaibadan Prison Project Data Sheet (PDF, 832k)
- Nakornsuwan Juvenile Facility Project Data Sheet (PDF, 969k)
- Ubonratchathani Juvenile Project Data Sheet (PDF, 968k)
- Jantiburi Prison Project Data Sheet (PDF, 671k)
Qualifications & Project Management Methodology
All members of the dedicated custodial team have the necessary security clearances to work at prison sites.
Pointer utilise Prince2 project management methodology all major custodial projects in order to ensure that the project risk is always managed.
Pre-installation planning and co-ordination is key to delivering a successful project for our clients. Pointer’s custodial team is capable of managing subcontractors, and working closely with specialist contractors throughout the entire project. If a change to the program is necessary, then having the confidence of the client and others working with us, including suppliers, makes it easier to implement these changes and keep within the overall schedule. Change control procedures are used and agreed with the customer prior to being acted upon.
Often the installation and subsequent maintenance needs to be carried out whilst minimising disturbance to the normal day to day activities of our clients. The correct level of planning and co-ordination during installation and efficient and effective planning with Pointer’s dedicated 24 hour help line ensure that Pointer meet this key objective.
A key part of Pointer’s use of Prince2 methodology is a clear understanding of the Customer’s business requirements. Pointer ensures that the whole scope of the Project is understood and where possible understand the Customer’s Operational Requirements as well as installation and maintenance timeframes.
Pointer understand that information Security is of vital importance during the installation and maintenance of security systems. All Pointer’s personnel and sub-contractors are briefed to the correct level of any disclosure of the project.
Pointer Ltd install and maintain key systems for customers and by understanding the Customer’s Business and Operational needs ensure that service level agreements are maintained to the highest standard.